Creating a Backup
Database backup files are compressed using the .gz format. The .tgz format is used for system,
database, and media backups. Backup files are stored in the var/backups directory in your
Magento file system. The files that are stored in the /var/cache, /var/log, /var/session and
/var/report folders are excluded from the backup.
To create a single backup:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Tools > Backups.
2. Click one of the following buttons, depending on the type of backup you need to create:
System Backup – Creates a complete backup of the database and the file system.
In the next step you can choose whether to include the media
folder to the backup.
Database and Media Backup – Creates a backup of the database and the media folder.
Database Backup – Creates a backup of the database.
3. When prompted that the backup will take time, click OK to continue.
4. To put the store into maintenance mode during the backup, select the checkbox. After the
backup is created, maintenance mode is turned off automatically.
5. If you are creating a system backup, select the Include Media folder to System Backup
checkbox if you want to include the media folder. When prompted, confirm the action.
All backups are listed on the Backups page. Deleting a record from the list deletes the archive
file as well.
To configure regularly scheduled backups:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
2. In the panel on the left, under Advanced, select System.
3. Click to expand the Scheduled Backup Settings section. Then, do the following:
a. Set Backup Type to one of the following:
- Database and Media
- System (excluding Media)
b. Set the Start Time of the backup to the hour, minute, and second.
c. Set the Frequency of the backup to one of the following:
4. To take the store offline during the backup process, set Maintenance Mode to “Yes.”
To backup from Magento Connect Manager
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager.
2. Select the Create Backup checkbox and select the backup type.
3. Proceed with an extension installation or Magento update. The backup is created automatically
and available at System > Tools > Backups.