Layered navigation can be used to search for products by category or by attribute. For example,
when a shopper chooses the Apparel/Shoes category from the top navigation, the initial results
include all products in the shoes category. The list can be filtered further by choosing a specific
color or size, or by specifying values for both color and size. For an attribute to be included in
layered navigation, its property settings must be set to make it filterable.
Anchor categories can be set to appear in an additional section that filters the list by attribute
value. The attribute section appears only if a category is set to “Is Anchor.” Each attribute can
be configured to display the number of matching records found.
The attribute properties, combined with the product properties, determine which attributes can
be used as filters for layered navigation. Only those with the catalog input type of Dropdown,
Multiple Select or Price can be used as filterable attributes.
Step 1: Set the Attribute Properties
1. On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes.
2. Click to open the attribute in edit mode, and do the following:
a. Scroll down to the Frontend Properties section, and set Use In Layered Navigation to one
of the following:
l Filterable (with results)
l Filterable (no results)
b. Set Use In Search Results Layered Navigation to “Yes.”
Step 2: Make the Category an Anchor
1. On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
2. In the Categories panel on the left, click to open the category.
3. On the Display Settings tab, set Is Anchor to “Yes.”
4. Click the Save Category button.
5. To test the setting, go to your store and select the category in the top navigation. The selection
of filterable attributes for the products in the category appears in the layered navigation.