There are many ways to use hidden categories. You might want to create additional category
levels for your own internal purposes, but show only the higher-level categories to your
customers. Or, you might want to link to a category that is not included in the navigation
To create hidden categories:
1. On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
2. In the category tree, select the category you want to hide.
3. On the General Information tab, do the following:
a. Set Is Active to “No.”
b. Set Include in Navigation Menu to “No.”
4. On the Display Settings tab, set Is Anchor to “No.”
5. Although the category is hidden, you can still create additional subcategories beneath it, and
make them active. Complete the following settings for each hidden subcategory:
a. On the General Information tab, set Is Active to “Yes.”
b. On the Display Settings tab, set Is Anchor to “Yes.”
As active categories, you can now link to them from other places in your store, but they will not
appear in the navigation menu.
6. When complete, click the Save Category button.