Many extensions and themes are available on Magento Connect, and the installation process
varies for each. Some extensions require additional configuration after the installation. For
complete installation and configuration instructions, see the documentation provided by the
extension developer. The following instructions outline the general process. Before installing
any extension, always back up your store.
To back up your store:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager.
2. Select the Create Backup checkbox and select the backup type.
The backup is created automatically, and listed under System > Tools > Backups.
To install an extension:
1. Go to Magento Connect.
2. Use the filters to browse through the available extensions.
3. On the page of the extension you want to install, do the following:
a. If the extension is available for sale, click the Get Extension button. Then, follow the
prompts to purchase the extension.
b. Click the Get Extension Key key button.
c. Click the link to read the license agreement, and if you agree to the terms, select the
An extension key similar to this appears: magento-core/Mage_xxxx. The key is a special
link that Magento needs to install the extension to your store.
d. Click Select to select the key, and press Ctrl + C to copy it to the clipboard.
4. Log in to your store Admin, and do the following:
a. On the Admin menu, select System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager.
b. When prompted, enter your Admin User Name and Password. Then, click the Log In
c. In the Install New Extensions section, paste the Extension Key.
d. Click the Install button and wait for the installation to complete.
5. You can now return to your store Admin and use the extension.
Look for new options in the related section of the Admin. For example, payment extensions
appear in System > Configuration > Sales > Payment Methods.