Magento Connect is Magento’s original marketplace for extensions. There are hundreds of
extensions available from all over the world. Magento out-of-the-box supports a few of the most
popular ones. However, community members are developing and publishing new extensions in
order to extend Magento with various new features.
Magento Community Editionis constantly evolving. New features are added and problems
resolved on an ongoing basis. From time to time you will be notified that a new Magento CE
version is available. This notice will be published in the Magento blog, and in your Admin
Consider the following before upgrading your store:
If the update is critical, contains mandatory updates, or resolves issues that you have
encountered, you should update your store.
Upgrading between major versions, such as between version 1.1 and 1.2, might require
minor configuration changes. See the update release notes for more information.
If your store has a custom theme, you will benefit from the bug fixes in the update, but
new the functionality might not be implemented in your theme.
We strongly recommend that you test all updates in a staging environment before
upgrading a live store.
To update your store to a new version:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager.
2. Enter your Admin username and password, and click the Log In button.
3. Click the Check for Upgrades button. Any upgrades available for Magento CE modules are
marked in yellow.
4. In the Actions column, select the upgrades to be installed. Then, click the Commit Changes
5. When the installation is complete, click the Return to Admin link in the header.
Congratulations! You have upgraded Magento Community Edition. Now check your site to
make sure everything works as expected.