Method 2: Upload Swatches as Product Images
Use this method to associate swatch images with a specific product. Swatches uploaded with
this method take precedence over those uploaded to Media Storage.
1. On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Manage Products.
2. Find the product the configurable product in the list, and open the record in edit mode.
3. If the image is intended for a specific store view, set Choose Store View to the store view
where the images will be used.
4. In the panel on the left, click Images. Then, do the following:
a. Click the Browse Files button, and select the images files to upload to your store.
b. Click the Upload Files button to upload the selected images to your store.
c. Enter a Label for each swatch image uploaded, in the following format: color name,
followed by a hyphen, and the word “swatch.” This label identifies the image as a swatch
that is associated with this specific variation of the product.
Do not select any of the remaining options. It is not necessary to select the Exclude
checkbox, because by default, Swatch images do not appear in the thumbnail gallery.
5. When complete, click the Save button.
6. When prompted to clear the cache, click the Cache Management link in the message at the top
of the workspace, and refresh any cache that is invalid.