Product reviews help to build a sense of community, and are considered more credible than any
advertising money can buy. In fact, some search engines give sites with product reviews a
higher ranking than those without. For those who find your site by searching for a specific
product, a product review is essentially the landing page of your store. Product reviews help
people find your store, keep them engaged, and often lead to sales.
The configuration determines whether customers must open an account with your store to be
write a product review, or can submit a review as a guest. Requiring reviewers to open an
account with your store can improve the quality of reviews by preventing anonymous
Customers can write reviews for any product in your catalog. Reviews can be written from the
product page by clicking the “Add Your Review” link. For products that haven’t been reviewed,
the link says, “Be the first to review this product.”
The number of stars indicates the satisfaction rating. Visitors can click the link to read the
reviews and write their own. As an incentive, customers can receive reward points for
submitting a review.
When a review is submitted, it is sent to the Admin for moderation. When approved, the review
is published in your store.
To configure product reviews:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration. T hen in the panel on the left, under
Catalog, select Catalog.
2. Click to expand the Product Reviews section.
3. Set Allow Guests to Write Reviews according to your preference.
4. When complete, click the Save Config button.
To moderate reviews:
1. On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Reviews and Ratings > Customer Reviews > Pending
2. In the list, click a pending review to view the details, and edit if necessary.
3. To approve a pending review, change the Status from “Pending” to “Approved.” To reject a
review, select “Not Approved.”
4. When complete, click the Save Review button.