By adjusting the Catalog Search configuration, you can control the behavior of the search
operations and determine the size of valid query text, and the display of search
To configure catalog search:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
2. In the Configuration panel on the left, under Catalog, select Catalog. Then, click to expand the
Catalog Search section.
3. To limit the length and word count of search query text, do the following:
a. Set Minimal Query Length to the minimum number of characters that can be submitted in
b. Set Maximum Query Length to the maximum number of characters that can be submitted
in a query.
c. Set Maximum Query Words Count to the maximum number of words that can be
submitted in a query.
4. Set Search Type to one of the following:
Like Performs a search based on individual keywords.
Fulltext Performs a search based on the full text of each attribute and
ranks each by relevance.
Combine (Like and
This combination of Like and Fulltext matches by keyword, but
takes into consideration its relevance.
5. To limit the number of records that can be used with layered navigation, enter the maximum
number allowed in the Apply Layered Navigation if Search Results are Less Than field. To
allow any number of records, enter zer0 (0).
6. When complete, click the Save Config button.