The default Magento sitemap has links to every product and category in your store, and can
help improve the way your products are indexed by some search engines. Like a table of
contents, the sitemap also gives visitors a quick overview of the organization of your catalog. To
switch between the category and product lists, click the link on the right. By default, the footer
of your store includes a link to the sitemap.
The sitemap can be formatted as a nested, tree-like structure, or as a simple list. The number of
lines included per page, and the use of indentation is set in your system configuration.
Because the Magento sitemap does not include CMS pages, it is not a complete index to the
content on your site. In addition to the default sitemap, it is recommended that you also
generate a Google sitemap that can be used for reference when your site is indexed by Google.
To set up the sitemap:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration. Then in the panel on the left under
Catalog, select Catalog.
2. Click to expand the Sitemap section. Then, set the following options according to your
- Use Tree Like Category Sitemap
- Minimum Lines per Page
3. Scroll down the page and click to expand the Search Engine Optimizations section. Then, set
Autogenerated Site Map to “Enable.”
4. When complete, click the Save Config button.