In many countries, the state, province, or region is a required part of a postal address. The
information is used for shipping and billing information, to calculate tax rates, and so on. For
countries where it is not required, the field can be omitted entirely from the address, or
included as an optional field.
Because standard address formats vary from one country to another, you can also edit the
address template that determines how the information appears on invoices, packing slips, and
To set up the state options:
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
2. Click to expand the States Options section, and do the following:
3. In the State is required for list, select each country where you want State / Province to be a
To select multiple options, hold down the Ctrl key (PC) or Command key (Mac), and click each
4. Set Display not required State to one of the following:
Yes In countries where the state field is not required, the field is included in the form
as an optional entry.
No In countries where the state field is not required, the field is omitted from the
5. When complete, click the Save Config button.